The Plan2GO! Scholarship is an exciting opportunity for University of Washington undergraduate students who plan to study abroad on an exchange program. Students awarded a Plan2GO! will have up to three years to use their scholarship toward a qualified UW exchange program. As a Plan2GO! scholar, you will join a cohort of students who will engage in study abroad advising and scholarship activities leading up to your exchange program.
To be eligible for a 2017 Plan2GO! scholarship, candidates must:
- be a resident of Washington state
- be eligible to take part in an UW Study Abroad University or Departmental Exchange
- have financial need based on completion of FAFSA or WASFA
- participate in advising and scholarship activities, if selected. (Please note, students who have already been accepted into a university exchange program and who plan to start their exchange during winter 2017, or spring 2017 are not eligible for this scholarship).
- Those students with financial need who received the GO! Scholarship or a Fritz Scholarship to support one study abroad may apply for the Plan2GO! Scholarship to support a subsequent exchange program.
- Students who are nominated for the Plan2GO! and the GO STEMXchange Scholarship cannot use both awards for the same study abroad.
Award amounts will vary based on program costs, up to $5,000. Selected scholarship recipients will engage in exchange planning and advising with staff from Global Opportunities and UW Study Abroad. Ideal candidates will demonstrate flexibility, resilience and a commitment to an immersive experience abroad. This application is now open.
The application deadline is December 1, 2016.
Applicants apply online. The application consists of basic biographical information, short answer essays and a CV or activities list. The 2016 short answer questions are:
- As an exchange student, you will attend one of our partner universities and take classes alongside local students. You may be the only UW student who attends that particular university during the time you participate. What motivates you to want to study abroad independently as an exchange student and how do you think it will help you enhance your Husky experience?
- Address how study abroad fits or complements your academic and career goals. Describe the world you come from and how you expect this study abroad program to expand your worldview.
- If selected as a Plan2GO! scholar, you’ll join a small cohort of students who also plan on studying on exchange. What is compelling to you about joining this community and what are the impacts you hope to make within this community?
- Write about a time when you were in a new, uncomfortable situation. How did you handle it and what did you learn?
Plan2GO! applications are reviewed by a committee composed of UW faculty and staff. Your application will be reviewed holistically and will be considered for:
- Academic record and potential to succeed and fully engage at the host institution
- Motivation to participate in an exchange
- Ability to navigate challenging circumstances/resilience
- Commitment to participating in the Plan2GO! cohort