Advising and resources
Meet with a scholarships adviser
- Contact UWB Merit Scholarships, Fellowships & Awards at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Contact UWT Student Fellowships & Awards at email@example.com
- Contact Global Opportunities adviser Kiana Parker at firstname.lastname@example.org
Meet with a study abroad adviser
Email email@example.com with questions, or meet with an adviser:
- Visit the UWB Global Initiatives website to make an appointment
- Visit the UWT Study Abroad website to make an appointment
- UW Study Abroad offers drop-in advising every week day
Recommended connections as you prepare for study abroad
At the UW
Choosing a program and preparing for study abroad
- UW Study Abroad is the first stop on your journey toward study abroad. Advisers can give an overview of study abroad options, in-depth program information, advice on planning and paying for study abroad and much more. Drop-in hours are offered every week day – stop by to learn more!
- The Office of Minority Affairs and Diversity Counseling Services offers a wide variety of support to UW students, particularly students from low-income families, students who will be the first in their family to graduate from a four-year college and/or students from underrepresented backgrounds.
- Center for Undergraduate Advising, Diversity & Student Success offers academic advising and information about opportunities offered through Undergraduate Academic Affairs, including numerous community outreach, research and honors programs.
- Your academic adviser
Finding scholarships and putting together a strong application
- The Office of Merit Scholarships, Fellowships & Awards provides resources, advising and individual feedback to UW undergraduates applying for local and national merit-based scholarships. Their website includes a scholarship workshops calendar and a searchable scholarship database.
- The Mary Gates Endowment provides funding sources and guidance to help students participate in leadership opportunities, build community partnerships and engage in undergraduate research. Students may apply for Mary Gates Research and Leadership Scholarships for projects conducted abroad.
Understanding how your financial aid can fund your study abroad
- The Office of Student Financial Aid has information on qualifying for, applying for and receiving financial aid – through scholarships, loans, grants or work study.
Help with study abroad and scholarship essays
- The Odegaard Writing and Research Center is available to the entire UW community and provides support and feedback to students preparing application essays, cover letters, resumes, and academic assignments.
More information about international travel
- UW Study Abroad offers recommendations and resources for undocumented and DACA students considering study abroad.
- The Office of Global Affairs provides information and resources for UW community members concerned about the January 27, 2017 executive order.
Beyond the UW
Scholarships and financial aid
- The FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) can be filled out by any student, and is used to determine eligibility for federal student financial aid, including grants, loans and work study.
- The Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship provides funding to students who have been traditionally under-represented in study abroad. The Gilman is for students receiving Pell Grants, and aims to encourage students to choose non-traditional study abroad destinations, especially those outside of Western Europe and Australia.
- Boren Awards for International Study are intended for students who will be studying less commonly taught languages in countries outside Western Europe and Australia.
- DAAD is a program funded by the German government which provides information and financial support for students pursuing education, research opportunities and internships in Germany.
- The Washboard, a program of the Washington Scholarship Coalition, is a searchable database that helps Washington students find and apply for relevant scholarship opportunities.
Passports and visas