Leadership Application Instructions
Before you start your application, please acquaint yourself with the purpose of the Leadership Scholarship, eligibility requirements, the elements that comprise your application and the review process.
The following information will be requested during the online application process:
- Your UWNetID
- Mailing address
- Permission to access parts of your student record and application.
- Project title, description, general dates of involvement, average hours spent per week.
- Requested award quarters (graduating seniors may request only one quarter; all others must request two quarters).
- Essay, uploaded as a PDF.
- Your essay should be a maximum of 1,250 words and a maximum of four pages. Do not exceed either 1,250 words or four pages. Essays should be double-spaced, in 12-point font or equivalent size with standard margins. In-text citations are not included in the word limit. You may include one additional page for references, images, or figures, if applicable; this one additional page of supplementary material is not included in the word limit or page limit.
- Essay prompt: Please describe the activity or project you propose to undertake and how this experience will challenge you and allow you to grow as a leader. Include a discussion of why this initiative matters to you, what you expect to distinctively contribute, and your goals for developing your leadership potential. What do you need to learn about leadership and about being a leader yourself? Consider how your mentor and the context of your project will provide the support you will need to meet your learning goals.
- Name and email address for your mentor.
- Print the Information for Leadership Mentors (PDF) letter, fill out the top section, and discuss it with your mentor. Download PDF
To access the online application, you will need to login with your UWNetID by clicking on the button labeled “Application Login,” found in the left panel. Once you login, you will be able to view the Leadership application form, input and save information, and return to finish later.
Once you submit your application, your mentor will receive an email message from us requesting that a letter be submitted using the online form. If your mentor does not have access to a computer, we will accept a hardcopy. On the application form you will be able to indicate this circumstance. Your mentor will have access to view your application. We encourage you to share a draft of your essay with your mentor before you submit your application.
Be sure to sign up for Direct Deposit to receive scholarship funding. If you receive need-based financial aid, it is important you learn more about how receiving a Mary Gates scholarship may affect your financial aid package.