Mary Gates Research Scholarship
Mary Gates Research Scholarships are competitive scholarships intended to enhance the educational experiences of undergraduate students at the University of Washington while they are engaged in research guided by faculty. We hope that with research scholarships, students may focus more attention and time, deeping their inquiry into a discipline or project with a reduced financial burden.
Students receive research scholarships to pursue research in a variety of disciplines. Learn more about research in the social sciences, arts, and humanities.
Applications are accepted twice per year – once in Autumn Quarter and once in Winter Quarter. The scholarships are $5,000 and disburse in installments of $2,500 each over two quarters. Graduating seniors may request to receive a one-quarter award totaling $2,500.
- Applicants must be matriculated UW undergraduate students registered full time (at least 12 credits during the academic year; only one credit is required in Summer) during the award period, pursuing a bachelor’s degree at the UW Bothell, Seattle or Tacoma campus. Candidates do not need to be U.S. citizens.
- Applicants do not need to be already engaged in research with faculty to be eligible to apply. Students in the planning stages of their research who effectively articulate the plan and the direction of their project will be strong candidates.
- Once awarded, recipients must be actively engaged in their research and remain full-time undergraduate students during their award period (except summer quarter—students need only to be enrolled for one credit to receive funds).
- If you have other scholarships, fellowships, awards or stipends supporting your research project and you are also selected for a Mary Gates Research Scholarship, you may not be eligible to receive the full amount of this award. The Mary Gates Endowment scholarship program reserves the right to adjust funding to promote equity among awardees. We may use information provided by the Office of Student Financial Aid/FAFSA to determine award amounts. Each student’s case is dealt with on an individual basis. If you would like to discuss your situation, please contact a Mary Gates Endowment staff member.
- A student may receive a maxiumum of one Mary Gates scholarship at a time. Students may successfully apply for multiple scholarships – and may receive the honor of being named a Mary Gates Scholar in multiple categories – but can receive funding for only one scholarship in any given quarter.
- Eligibility for previous Mary Gates Scholarship recipients:
- Previous Mary Gates Research Scholarship recipients are eligible to apply for a second award; however, reviewers will evaluate these applications using additional criteria.
- Students who have received the same type of Mary Gates scholarship twice are not eligible to apply for a third award of that scholarship type.
- Students are eligible for a total (maximum) of three Research and Leadership Scholarships (for example, if you have previously received two Research Scholarships, you would only be eligible to receive one Leadership Scholarship).
If you receive need-based financial aid, learn more about how receiving a Mary Gates scholarship may affect your financial aid package.
How to Apply
To apply for a Mary Gates Research Scholarship, please begin by perusing all the materials on the website pertaining to the Research Scholarship, particularly the selection criteria. You may also find the profiles of past Mary Gates scholarship recipients informative.
When you are ready to prepare your application, begin with the Application Instructions to find out what you will need in order to apply. Start your application by using the Application Login on the left panel of the website.
All complete applications are reviewed by a committee of faculty and staff. Please see the Review Process & Selection Criteria page for more information.
Applicants may stay updated on their application status by checking their application online. We will notify you and your mentor via email whether or not you are awarded the Research Scholarship. The review process takes approximately 8 weeks.
- For the duration of the award period, you must continue to be actively engaged with your research project and faculty mentor, and remain a full-time undergraduate student. (During summer quarter students need only to be enrolled for one credit to receive funds).
- You will be asked to complete one or two brief surveys during your award period.
- You are required to present your work at the Undergraduate Research Program’s annual Undergraduate Research Symposium in May. A call to submit proposals for the Symposium is announced during winter quarter. If you are unable to participate in the Symposium the year you receive the scholarship, you are expected to present the following year. If you are receiving support for research from the Mary Gates Endowment through other programs, such as the Friday Harbor Laboratories, you are also expected to present at the Symposium.
You are also encouraged to participate in activities and events planned by the program staff and the Community of Mary Gates Scholars.