Inner Pipeline Seminars
Participate in a weekly seminar and tutor for at least 2.5 hours a week at a Seattle school or community organization. All of our courses are I & S credits, and are listed under EDUC 401. The number of credits depends on the number of tutoring hours completed in addition to seminar attendance. Seminars are a fantastic opportunity to learn about issues in public education and tutoring strategies, while reflecting and learning from your tutoring site.
- EDUC 401, specific sections and SLNs linked below.
- CREDITS: 1-5. Seminars are Credit/No Credit.
- All students will take a required Pipeline Orientation the first day of the seminar class. If you miss the first day of class you must sign up for an alternative orientation here and complete orientation by the end of the second week of the quarter.
The following seminars will be offered during Spring Quarter 2018:
- Immigration and Refugee Education (EDUC 401 H)
- Challenges & Opportunities in K-12 Education (EDUC 401 R)
- Undocumented students in U.S. Education (EDUC 401 Q)
- Teaching English Language Learners (EDUC 401 A)
- Tutoring Math and Science (EDUC 401 B)
- Unforgetting (Re)Creating Filipino-American Educational Narratives (EDUC 401 U)
- Empowered Eco-Education (EDUC 401 C)
- Strengths-Based Learning: Serving the Underserved in Education (EDUC 401 T)
For these seminars, the number of credits a student receives depends on the number of tutoring hours you plan to complete in addition to seminar attendance. Credit and tutoring requirements are as follows:
1 credit: 2-3 hours tutoring/week (at least 20 hours tutoring/quarter)*
2 credits: 2-3 hours tutoring/week (at least 20 hours tutoring/quarter)
3 credits: 5 hours tutoring/week (at least 40 hours tutoring/quarter)
4 credits: 7.5 hours tutoring/week (at least 60 hours tutoring/quarter)
5 credits: 10 hours tutoring/week (at least 80 hours tutoring/quarter)
*A student may opt to register for 1 credit if it means avoiding an additional registration fee. Students may also register for more than 5 credits.