EDUC 401 C: Tutoring Math and Science in K-12 Education
- Date/Time: Tuesdays 3:30 PM – 4:50 PM
- Location: MEB 235
- Facilitator: TBA
- SLN: 14162 (No add code required)
In this seminar, students explore the world of math and science in K-12 schools by attending seminars that focus on current educational topics and tutoring at one of Pipeline’s partner schools. A key feature of the course is the opportunity to reflect on and share tutoring experiences in order to gain advice, suggestions, and pointers. Several seminars are devoted to best practices for science and math tutoring. The seminar also includes brief readings and discussion of critical topics in K-12 science and math education. Through the lens of social justice, this course will include conversation and critique of the social, political and economic factors that affect “K-Gray” STEM education.
For this seminar, the number of credits a student receives depends on the number of tutoring hours completed in addition to seminar attendance. Credit and tutoring requirements are as follows:
- 3 credits*: 2.5 hours tutoring/week (at least 20 hours tutoring/quarter)
- 4 credits: 5 hours tutoring/week (at least 40 hours tutoring/quarter)
- 5 credits: 7.5 hours tutoring/week (at least 60 hours tutoring/quarter)
- 6 credits**: 10 hours tutoring/week (at least 80 hours tutoring/quarter)
* A student may opt to register for 1 or 2 credits if it means avoiding an additional registration fee.
** If a student would like to register for more than 6 credits, they should email email@example.com with the request.