EDUC 401 I: English Language Learners Seminar
- Date: Tuesday
- Time: 11:00 AM – 12:20 PM
- Location: TBT
- SLN: 13959
- Facilitator: Rebecca Ray
In this seminar, we will:
- Gain familiarity with some of the pressing issues and challenges of ELLs in public, K-12 education.
- Review some instructional strategies and techniques to work with ELLs.
- Engage in self-reflection as a backdrop to a tutoring practicum experience.
- Develop a critical consciousness about the relationship between the policies and practices of public schooling, and how these reflect and/or challenge mainstream American ideology.
For this seminar, the number of credits a student receives depends on the number of tutoring hours completed in addition to seminar attendance. Credit and tutoring requirements are as follows:
- 3 credits*: 2.5 hours tutoring/week (at least 20 hours tutoring/quarter)
- 4 credits: 5 hours tutoring/week (at least 40 hours tutoring/quarter)
- 5 credits: 7.5 hours tutoring/week (at least 60 hours tutoring/quarter)
- 6 credits**: 10 hours tutoring/week (at least 80 hours tutoring/quarter
*A Student may opt to register for 1 or 2 credits if it means avoiding an additional registration fee.
** Students can only enroll for a max of 6 credits total per Quarter when tutoring for the Pipeline Project. Need more Credits still? Email email@example.com and we will do our best to accommodate you
If you need to make up tutoring hours for a circumstance out of your control (school closure, holiday) you can complete an online assignment. Each assignment is worth two tutoring hours.