Summer 2019 EDUC 401 Inner Pipeline Seminar
EDUC 401 A: Challenges & Opportunities in K-12 Education
- Date/Time: Thursdays 5:00 PM – 6:20 PM [Full-Term]
- Location: MLR 316
- Facilitator: TBA
- SLN: 11364
Participants in this seminar will explore the world of public education through weekly seminars and a tutoring practicum experience in local K-12 schools or community organizations. Both components will allow students to engage in critical reflection on some of the current issues in education at three different levels: local, national, and international.
The seminars are designed to provide a space where we can collectively reflect on tutoring experiences, emerging knowledge of teaching practices, and the relationships we build with the world. As a whole, this experience is intended to challenge us to raise questions about the purpose and nature of education in an increasingly diverse, global society. We will also always consider possibilities for a stronger, healthier and more equitable future by being realistic optimists!
For this seminar, the number of credits a student receives depends on the number of tutoring hours completed in addition to seminar attendance. Credit and tutoring requirements are as follows:
- 3 credits*: 2.5 hours tutoring/week (at least 20 hours tutoring/quarter)
- 4 credits: 5 hours tutoring/week (at least 40 hours tutoring/quarter)
- 5 credits: 7.5 hours tutoring/week (at least 60 hours tutoring/quarter)
- 6 credits**: 10 hours tutoring/week (at least 80 hours tutoring/quarter)
* A student may opt to register for 1 or 2 credits if it means avoiding an additional registration fee.
** If a student would like to register for more than 6 credits, they should email email@example.com with the request.