Winter 2019 EDUC 401 Inner Pipeline Seminars
Participate in a weekly seminar and tutor weekly at a Seattle school or community organization. All of our courses are I & S credits, and are listed under EDUC 401. The number of credits depends on the number of tutoring hours completed in addition to seminar attendance. Seminars are a fantastic opportunity to learn about issues in public education and tutoring strategies, while reflecting on what you learn from your tutoring site.
- EDUC 401, specific sections and SLNs linked below.
- CREDITS: 1-5. Seminars are Credit/No Credit.
- All students will take a required Pipeline Orientation the first day of the seminar class. If you miss the first day of class, you must sign up for an alternative orientation and complete orientation by the end of the second week of the quarter.
The following seminars will be offered during Winter Quarter 2019:
- EDUC 401 M: Tutoring Math and Science in K-12 Education 4:30 PM – 5:50 PM
- EDUC 401 I: Teaching English Language Learners 10:30 AM – 11:50 AM
- EDUC 401 K: Unforgetting: (Re)Creating Filipinx-American Educational Narratives 4:00 PM – 5:20 PM
- EDUC 401 L: Challenges & Opportunities 2:00 PM – 3:20 PM
- EDUC 401 Z: Immigrant and Refugee Education 3:00 PM – 4:20 PM
- EDUC 401 J: STEM ASB & CASE ASB (by application only) 4:30 PM – 5:50 PM
- EDUC 401 P: Environmental ASB (by application only) 4:30 PM – 5:50 PM
- EDUC 401 E: Challenges & Opportunities (online seminar for continuing Pipeline tutors only)
Continuing Enrollment Only:
Meeting Day/Time TBD:
- EDUC 401 O: Biomedical Mentors
The meeting time of these seminars is dependent on student availability.
For EDUC 401 seminars, the number of credits a student receives depends on the number of tutoring hours completed in addition to seminar attendance. Credit and tutoring requirements are as follows:
- 3 credits*: 2.5 hours tutoring/week (at least 20 hours tutoring/quarter)
- 4 credits: 5 hours tutoring/week (at least 40 hours tutoring/quarter)
- 5 credits: 7.5 hours tutoring/week (at least 60 hours tutoring/quarter)
- 6 credits**: 10 hours tutoring/week (at least 80 hours tutoring/quarter)
* A student may opt to register for 1 or 2 credits if it means avoiding an additional registration fee.
** If a student would like to register for more than 6 credits, they should email firstname.lastname@example.org with the request.
If you need to make up tutoring hours for a circumstance out of your control (school closure, holiday) you can complete an online assignment. Each assignment is worth two tutoring hours.