Frequently Asked Questions

Community Engagement and Leadership Education Center (CELE)

Where can I find a volunteer opportunity?
Take a look at the “Public Service Opportunites Bulletin” section of the Carlson Center website that contains links to search for volunteer and internship opportunities with local non-profit organizations:
How many hours do I need to volunteer?
Service-Learning students should commit 20-40 hours during the course of the quarter (about 3-5 hours each week).
Do I need to keep track of my hours?

The Carlson Center does not require students to record their volunteer hours, however professors and organizations might require students to keep a record. Tell students it is an excellent idea to keep track of their hours even if it’s not a requirement because it can be used on their resumes!

More Service-Learning FAQs can be found here:

Can I get academic credit for my internship?

General Studies 350 is a course in which students doing internships can receive credit for the concurrent learning being done while interning. To apply for General Studies 350 the student must be currently involved in an internship and have a faculty member that is willing to sponsor him/her. The application form and more information can be found here:

When is the General Studies 350 application due?

General Studies 350 applications are due the second week of the quarter (students that turn in their applications after this will have a late registration fee added on to their tuition statement,) refer to the UW’s academic calendar for registration deadlines:

Can I get credit for a summer internship I will be doing?

Yes, students doing an internship during the summer can apply for General Studies 350 and receive credit for summer quarter or fall quarter. On the General Studies 350 application the student can note which quarter he/she would like to receive credit.

Note: If the summer internship has already passed and the student did not complete a General Studies 350 application beforehand, then he/she cannot get credit for the internship. There is no retroactive credit for GEN ST 350.

Early Identification Program (EIP) & McNair Scholars Program

I am interested in going to graduate school, who can help me?
EIP is an excellent resource for students interested in graduate school preparation. If a student is interested in being involved with EIP, connect the student with Wei, Natalie, Todd, Gene, or Gabe. [/section]

No content for this section. Make sure you wrap your content like this:

Content here

Some students get confused between EOP (Educational Opportunity Program) and EIP (Early Identification Program), the EOP office is in MGH 141.

Who can I talk to about EOP?
Some students get confused between EOP (Educational Opportunity Program) and EIP (Early Identification Program), the EOP office is in MGH 141.

Global Opportunities

Is this the study abroad office?
No, the Study Abroad office (International Programs & Exchanges Department) is located in Schmitz 458. Drop-ins are everyday 10:00am-4:00pm. Our office assists students with finding funding opportunities for studying abroad.
Am I eligible to receive a study abroad scholarship even though I am an international student?

There may be options for you, depending on your major. The GO! Scholarship requires the student to be a WA state resident. However, the Fritz Scholarship is open to international and domestic students who are declared social science and humanities majors. Check for a list of eligible majors. There are also some interesting options for STEM majors. Check the OMSFA database for more options (you can search for scholarships open to international students and study abroad scholarships) and email Sara if you’d like to ask questions or set up an advising appointment.

More Global Opportunities information can be found here:


Are you interested in Jumpstart?
Please refer to Jumpstart page:

Mary Gates Endowment for Students

When is the application deadline?
Application deadlines vary for autumn and winter quarters (there is no application cycle during spring and summer quarters). Leadership applications are usually due on Monday of the fourth week of the quarter, and Research applications are usually due on Monday of the fifth week of the quarter. Current quarter deadlines, as well as dates for info sessions and application workshops, can be found on the MGE website:
When will scholarships be disbursed?
Scholarships are disbursed to student accounts at the end of the second week of the quarter. Scholarship funds are then automatically transferred to the student’s personal bank account if s/he has established direct deposit, or automatically issued as a paper check and mailed. Students should check their student accounts to determine when and how the scholarships were processed.
Who is eligible for Mary Gates Scholarships?
All current UW students pursuing a Bachelor’s degree are eligible. This includes WA state residents, non-residents and international students in all majors and class years. Graduate students, non-matriculated students, or non-UW students are not eligible.

Office of Merit Scholarships, Fellowships, and Awards

My son/daughter is in high school and considering attending UW, are there scholarships available?
The UW Admissions Office is the best resource for students considering applying to UW. Unfortunately, the Office of Merit Scholarships, Fellowships & Awards does not offer scholarships to students, nor are we involved in the awarding of scholarships to incoming students. Instead, we serve as a clearinghouse of scholarship information. In this capacity, we gather information on funding opportunities for which UW students could apply. This information is available only to current UW students.
I am a current UW student, where can I find scholarships?
The OMSFA website has a database of scholarships available to current undergraduate UW students, which can be found at this link:
Where do I find scholarship for graduate students?

The Graduate School Office of Fellowships & Awards has information about funding for graduate students. More information can be found on their website:

UW current and admitted graduate students can also receive help to locate funding opportunities for graduate related expenses. For more information:

Can I meet with a scholarship adviser?

The best way for a student to meet with an adviser is to set up an appointment through the OMSFA website’s link “Request an Appointment with a Scholarship Adviser,” which will then take you to this link:

More OMSFA FAQs can be found here:

Riverways Education Partnership

How do I sign up for Riverways Education Partnership?
This depends on which one of Riverways’ programs you’re thinking about signing up with. A great first step to getting involved with all Riverways programs is checking out the Riverways Education Partnership website. The website outlines our key programs and discusses steps for getting involved.
What are “Riverways Seminars”?
How many credits can I receive for a Riverways Seminar?

The number of credits a student receives depends on the number of tutoring hours completed in addition to seminar attendance. All Riverways Seminars are offered through EDUC 401, which are practicum credits. Credit and tutoring requirements are as follows:

  •  2 credits: 2.5 hours tutoring/week (at least 20 hours tutoring/quarter)
  •  3 credits: 5 hours tutoring/week (at least 40 hours tutoring/quarter)
  •  4 credits: 7.5 hours tutoring/week (at least 60 hours tutoring/quarter)
  •  5 credits: 10 hours tutoring/week (at least 80 hours tutoring/quarter)

A student may opt to register for 1 credit if it means avoiding an additional registration fee. Students may also register for more than 5 credits.

Where will I tutor?
Each Riverways Seminar is uniquely tailored to address a focused educational topic. Some seminars have a broad range of tutoring placements for you to choose from, while others offer targeted site placements to correspond with your seminar topic. After you register for a seminar, you can browse a list of potential site placements through EXPO, Riverways’ online registration and site placement system.
How do I sign up for a Riverways Seminar?
You can sign up for a Riverways Seminar via MyUW. Once you have enrolled in a seminar via MyUW, please follow the steps outlined on our Riverways Seminar page to sign up for an orientation and get started.
My Riverways Seminar needs an add code. Where can I find this?
Please note that some seminars may require add codes. If an add code is necessary, contact the Riverways Education Partnership to request one. Remember to include which seminar you would like to register for.
When is the last day I can enroll in a Riverways Seminar?
We cannot enroll students in Riverways Seminars after the second class session has met. Enrollment after the first class has met is considered on a case-by-case basis.
If I want to volunteer and not do a Riverways Seminar, how many hours do I need to volunteer for?
For volunteers, the commitment is a minimum of an hour a week.

Office of Undergraduate Research

Can I speak to someone about research?

If just a quick question, feel free to check in with OUR staff and we’re happy to help if available.

For advising inquiries, students who are new to research should first attend one of our OUR Information Sessions if possible.

Current schedule and sign up is available at:

If they already attended and info session or just one more specific one-on-one advising, ask student if they are available to come in during drop-in hours.

If not available during those drop-in times, students can also set up an appointment by emailing and should provide several options (days and times) when they are available to meet.

Where can I find research opportunities?

The OUR website has a database of research opportunities which can be found at this link: but students should attend an info. session and advising with URP staff for more information on how search, plan, and prepare.

When is the Undergraduate Research Symposium?
How do I check out easels?

Faculty, departments, and other UW program staff may check out easels for free for the purpose of spotlighting undergraduate research. The reservation request form can be found here:

*Easel reservations typically cannot be made over the phone as we need digital documentation of the reservation.