Reporting Undergraduate Involvement in Research and Public Service

August 5, 2022

DUE: October 31, 2022

For instructions and to submit your department’s data, please go to:

If you are not able to access your department’s form, please email us at

Useful Links

August 5, 2022

Dear Colleagues:

I am writing to request information from your units about undergraduate participation in UW-sponsored public service, internships, and research. Increasing undergraduate involvement in these activities is among the University of Washington’s long-term goals. The data you provide will be used for tracking and reporting our progress to the Board of Regents, State Legislature, and the public.  A summary report that lists these data by academic department will be available for your information.

Data are submitted to Undergraduate Academic Affairs via web form only. The individual(s) from your unit who are responsible for collecting and reporting data should carefully read the Definitions and Instructions from in order to accurately reflect the undergraduate activity in each unit. The link to submit data is provided on the accountability website.

Please gather data from your units and submit the information no later than October 31, 2022. For questions, please contact Janice DeCosmo, Associate Dean of Undergraduate Academic Affairs,  or

Thank you for your contribution to this important university-wide effort.


Mark A. Richards
Provost and Executive Vice President
Professor, Earth and Space Sciences

Cc:  Ana Mari Cauce
Philip Reid
Erin Guthrie
Ed Taylor

Definitions and Instructions

How to report undergraduate student participation in research, internships, and UW-sponsored public service.


Undergraduate research experiences refers to student research (“research” as defined by your discipline to include scholarship, creative work, community-based research and applied research and design) closely guided by faculty, staff, or graduate students. The research may be done as part of the work of a course, team, faculty research group, or independently with guidance. The measure is intended to capture the number of students engaged in work that is considered to enhance student learning and contribute new ideas, perspectives, designs, methods, data, scholarship, or creative works to a discipline or body of work.

Public service involvement refers to undergraduate participation in UW-sponsored service learning, volunteer experiences, or public service internships sustained for at least one quarter. The measure is intended to capture the number of students involved in these activities as part of their undergraduate learning, either through a course, an academic department, or an official UW program or connection.

Internships refers to opportunities for students to explore and develop their career goals through supervised practical training that is sustained for at least one quarter. The measure is intended to capture the number of students who participate in an internship as part of their undergraduate learning that is primarily aimed at helping them to develop skills, knowledge and experience that prepare them for work and careers. Students may be earning academic credit or being paid for an internship experience connected to their UW undergraduate experience.

Who Can Report

Individuals who have reported in prior years are already authorized users in the system. Department representatives can contact us at to make changes to the list of authorized users or to add another user.


Report only UW undergraduate students. You may also report other undergraduate students who have a UW Net ID or a UW student number (e.g., undergraduate participants in a summer research program). If you would like to report undergraduate participation in public service or research and they are not UW students, you may email us at with a list.

Types of Information to Report


If your department or program offers courses in which all enrolled undergraduates conduct research, public service, or earn internship credit, you may submit the course number and quarter offered directly into our online system.

Individual students

If students connected with your department or program participate in faculty research, UW-sponsored public service or internships but do not enroll in a course or earn credit, you may report these as “individuals” in our online system. Note that students who are paid or volunteering their time toward these activities may be reported.

Data Needed to Complete Your Report


You will be able to view and add courses that have been used in previous year. You may also add courses that do not appear on your list of previously reported courses. You will need:

  • Department abbreviation
  • Course number
  • Section
  • Quarters course was offered

You will need to distinguish between a course offered for research, public service, or internship credit. If one course offers credit for more than one type of student work, you will need to report those students as individuals (see next section) rather than by course.

Individual students
An Excel template is available for you to use for uploading these data for individual students. The following data will need to be entered into the Excel template.

  • Student number or UW Net ID (UW email address without the @u extension)
  • Project title (either a research or service project title or theme, or host organization name)
  • Type of activity (Enter the words exactly “Undergraduate Research” or “Public Service” or “Internship” without quote marks)
  • Faculty UW Net ID (UW email address without the @u extension, e.g., “jdecosmo”)
  • Faculty Name
  • Hours per week for Summer 2021
  • Hours per week for Autumn 2021
  • Hours per week for Winter 2022
  • Hours per week for Spring 2022

If you only have a total number of hours for the quarter rather than an average number per week, you can enter those numbers in the Hours per week column and there will be a place to indicate this condition in the system AFTER UPLOADING the spreadsheet.

Login with UW Net ID to Report Data

You are encouraged to report any problems with the system or to contact us if you have any questions or need help in submitting your data. Email or or call Janice DeCosmo at (206) 221-6178.